Thursday, December 13, 2007

I feel mildly bad that I haven't posted here in so long (two months!), but this quarter has been kind of bland. I love the seminars I've been taking, but I haven't felt the urge to ramble on about them. And pathophys is, well, just pathophys. There's not much more to say about it other than that every single Wednesday I am gripped by the cold cold hand of my own mortality as we ramble on for two hours about all the horrible diseases that could kill us.

Awesome.

But last night, last night was BEYOND blog-worthy, so I figured it would be a crime not to break this blog's (inadvertent) silence and post about it.

For those of you who don't remember, I have Crazy Anatomy Instructor again for pathophys this semester. She is such a sweet woman, but she is BEYOND airheaded. WAY FAR BEYOND. If airheaded was floating up in the sky, Crazy Anatomy Instructor would be floating a good 400 feet above it.

Case in point was last-evening:

Crazy Anatomy Instructor is going over diseases of the urinary system, and she gets to talking about pregnancy and how a pregnancy can press on the bladder. To explain further, she decides to draw a picture of a uterus on the board while lecturing. Now, first off, historically all of her drawings of organs have been the type of drawings that, if you walked into the classroom and hadn't been sitting in on the lecture, you wouldn't have a clue what the hell the drawing is actually supposed to be representing: kidney? sperm? heart? large comma? man bending over backwards while holding an umbrella? Last night was no different.

This time, however, as we all bent over our notebooks, scribbling down notes about pregnancy and the bladder, she began to draw the blob-like, Don Hertzfeldt-esque uterus, and when I looked up, I was horrifed to find that she was drawing the uterus not on the dry-erase chalkboard BUT ON THE WHITE PROJECTOR-SCREEN THAT WAS PULLED DOWN OVER THE CHALKBOARD. And dry-erase markers dry-erase off of dry-erase chalkboards with no problem. But as most of us know, they don't so much dry-erase off of other things.

As she finished drawing her uterus, I looked over at my friend K___, and she looked back at me with deep dark horror in her eyes.

Needless to say, I was forced to spend the next half hour trying to stare only at my notes, because any time I would make eye contact with the uterus, it took every inch of willpower in my body not to start shaking with laughter. And of course what added to the situation was the fact that OUR INSTRUCTOR NEVER EVER EVER SUDDENLY NOTICED THAT SHE HAD DONE THIS. So for 30 minutes, I was forced to distract myself from the fact that whatever instructor pulled down the projector-screen next to show their overheads would be faced with a strange blue mutant-shaped uterus staring back at them.

When class finally let out, I barely made it down the hallway before erupting into hysterical peals of laughter that were so strong I could barely catch my breath.

I have not had such a good healthy laugh in a long long time.

And for that, I thank you, Crazy Anatomy Instructor.